Address: 400 Celebration Place, Suite A-140
Celebration, Florida 34747
Certified by the American Board of Surgery, Nov. 1993
Recertified by the American Board of Surgery, Nov. 2002
Recertified by the American Board of Surgery, Nov. 2012
Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, Oct. 1995
Member of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, Nov. 2004
1982 B.S. Muhlenberg College
Honors: Cum Laude
1986 M.D. University of Medicine & Dentistry-N.J. Medical School Honors: Alpha Omega Alpha
1986 – 1992 UMDNJ-N.J. Medical School, General Surgery
July 1990 – Nov. 1992 Captain U.S. Army Reserve
Dec. 1992 – Dec. 1997 Captain U.S. Army National Guard
Jan. 1998 - Retired May 1999 Major U.S. Army National Guard
May 1994 U.S. Army Achievement Award
June 1995 U.S. Army Achievement Award
2008 – 2014 Associate Professor of Surgery, University of Central Florida, College Of Medicine
2014- Present Professor of Surgery, University of Central Florida, College of Medicine
2012- Present Florida Hospital-Nicholson Center Global Faculty
Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
Trocar.net / Online Video Journal of Gynecologic and Surgical Laparoscopy
Journal of Robotic Surgery
Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, President 2014-present
Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
American College of Surgeons, Florida Chapter, Auxiliary Governor
Association of Military Surgeons of the United States
Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
American College of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
Society of Robotic Surgery, Charter Member
INVITED LECTURES AND PRESENTATIONS:
Nov. 1988 University Hospital, Newark, N.J. Trauma Conference
Nov. 1988 N.J. Day of Trauma, Pulmonary Hilar Injuries
Jan. 1989 Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
Feb. 1989 Society of University Surgeons, Residents Session
May 1989 Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
June 1989 Shock Society, Poster Session
Oct. 1989 American College of Surgeons, Surgical Forum
Dec. 1989 Newark Beth Israel Hospital, Grand Rounds
Jan. 1990 Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
Jan. 1990 Southeastern Surgical Conference, poster session
Aug. 1990 Hackensack Medical Center, Trauma Conference
Mar. 1991 UMDNJ-MEDDET Lecture on Shock
Dec. 1991 UMDNJ-MEDDET Lecture on Pulmonary Injuries
Nov. 1992 Association of Surgical Technologists, Thoracic Trauma
June 1993 Association of Surgical Technologists, Laparoscopy
Dec. 1993 Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, Thoracoscopy
Apr. 1994 Association of Surgical Technologists, Laparoscopic Surgery
Nov. 1994 Association of Operating Room Nurses, Laparoscopic Surgery
Dec. 1994 Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, Thorocoscopic Surgery
Mar. 1995 United States Surgical Corporation, Laparoscopy Seminar
Apr. 1995 Wilkes-Barre General Hospital, Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication
June 1995 Shadowbrook Hotel & Resort, Community Update on Laparoscopy
Aug. 1995 Procter & Gamble Corporation, Laparoscopic Surgery
Sep. 1995 Northeastern PA Health Information Leaders, Laparoscopic Surgery
Sep. 1995 WVIA-TV, Public Broadcasting Network, Laparoscopic Surgery
Nov. 1995 Shadowbrook Hotel & Resort, Community Update on Cancer
Dec. 1995 Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, Laparoscopic Surgery for General Surgeons
Feb. 1996 Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, Laparoscopic Gastric Surgery
Dec. 1997 Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, Mini-Laparoscopy and Thoracoscopy
Oct. 1998 Association of Surgical Technologists, Transrectal Endoscopic Microsurgery
Oct. 1998 Association of Operating Room Nurses, Laparoscopic Colon Surgery
Dec. 1999 Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, Mini-Laparoscopy and Hand-Assisted Lap
Sept. 2001 Association of Operating Room Nurses, Hand-Assisted Laparoscopy
Dec. 2001 Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, Adhesions and Abdominal Pain
Dec. 2001 Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Hand-Assisted Laparoscopy
Apr. 2002 St. Vincent’s Hospital and Medical Center, Grand Rounds
Oct. 2002 Live Telesurgery to American College of Surgeons, Lap Colon Courses,
2002 – Present Preceptorship in Laparoscopy and Hand-Assisted Laparoscopy, Live & Telesurgery for Ethicon Endo Surgery
Feb. 2003 Live Telesurgery to Mayo Clinic et. al, Lap Colon
Aug. 2003 Chinese Medical Society, Sponsored by Johnson and Johnson, Beijing, Shenyang, Chongqing, Guangzhou, Wuhan, Hangzhou, Teaching Laparoscopic Colon Cancer Surgery
Sept. 2003 Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, Adhesions and Abdominal Pain
Oct. 2004 Laparoscopic Colon and Rectal Surgery Course, Celebration Health
Feb. 2005 Laparoscopic Colon and Rectal Surgery Course, Celebration Health
Mar. 2005 Hysterectomy Options Course, teach laparoscopy skills
Apr. 2005 Laparoscopic Colon and Rectal Surgery Course, Celebration Health
Apr 2005 SAGES Emerging Technology, Intra-Operative CT scanning
Dec. 2005 Laparoscopic Lecture, Israel Medical Society
Mar. 2006 Grand Rounds Centro Medico, San Juan PR
Feb. 2007 Laparoscopic Colon Rectal Surgery, ACS, Puerto Rico
Mar. 2007 SAGES Colo-Rectal Surgery Faculty
June 2007 ASCRS Colo-Rectal Faculty
Aug. 2007 Laparoscopic Colo Rectal Surgery Santiago and Santo Domingo DR
Dec. 2007 NOTES in the OR and GYN Applications, Rio de Janiero, BR
Feb. 2008 Chronic Abdominal & Pelvic Pain Syndrome, Physician Assistants State Mtg, Orlando, FL
Apr. 2008 Chronic Abdominal and Pelvic Pain Symposia, Kansas City, Kansas
Aug. 2008 ASCRS HALS Colo-Rectal Course Dayton, Ohio
May 2009 Preceptorship in MIS Colo-Rectal Surgery, Guangzhou, China
July 2009 Cedimat Hospital MIS Conference, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Sept. 2009 Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, Adhesions and Endometriosis
Mar. 2010 Association of Operating Room Nurses, Endoscopy in the OR, Denver, CO
May 2010 Society of GI Endoscopy Nurses, Endoscopy in the Operating Room, Orlando
Oct. 2010 American College of Surgeons, Integrating Endoscopy in the OR Chicago, IL
Nov. 2010 Integrating Endoscopy into the Operating Room, UAG Guadalajara, MX
Feb. 2011 Euro Asian Summit, SLS Orlando Florida Hospital
Sept. 2011 Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, Los Angeles, CA
Oct. 2011 American College of Surgeons, Vacation Emergencies San Francisco, CA
Feb. 2012 Asia American Summit, Developing a surgical simulation center, Honolulu, HI
April 2012 Grand Rounds Commonwealth of PA Med School Lap versus Robot Surgery
April 2012 SAGES Mini-Med School for high school students, San Diego, CA
June 2012 AIMIS. OR Ready. Las Vegas, NV
Oct 2012 American College of Surgeons, Chicago, IL
Feb 2013 Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, Euro American Summit, Orlando, FL
Apr 2013 SAGES, Mini Med School for high school students, Baltimore, MD
June 2013 Beijing, Changchun and Nanjing China, Chinese Minimally Invasive Surgical Society Meetings, with The Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons Surgical and Endoluminal Treatments for GERD; the past 20 years. Surgical Telemedicine in the 21st Century
Aug 2013 New Product Development, Covidien, New Haven, CT
Sept 2013 Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, Meeting Planner, Reston, VA
Sept 2013 Developing new surgical Products, Dublin and Galway Ireland
Oct 2013 Course Moderator, Covidien Colo-Rectal Summit Chicago, Ill
Reducing Peri-operative Opioid Adverse Events, Huntsville, AL, Mobile, AL, Detroit MI, Raleigh, NC, New Orleans, LA, Newport News, VA
Feb 2014 Asia American Summit, Simulation Center Development, Honolulu, HA
Mar 2014 Updates in Colo-Rectal Surgery, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Mar 2014 Reducing Peri-operative Opioid Adverse Events, Atlanta Medical Center, Georgia
Apr 2014 SAGES, Mini Med School for high school students, Salt Lake City, Utah
Apr 2014 Reducing Peri-operative Opioid Adverse Events, Salt Lake City, Utah
Jun 2014 Robotic Surgery Advisory Board, New Haven Connecticut
Jun 2014 Laparoscopic versus Robotic Surgery and Endoluminal treatments for GERD, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Jul 2014 National Committee for Reducing Opiod Adverse events after surgery
Oct 2014 Satellite TV interviews to 21 stations; reducing Adverse events after surgery
Dec 2014 Columbia University MBA Class, economics of Robot versus Lap Surgery
Apr 2015 SAGES Nashville, TN Mini Med School for High School Students
July 2015 FDA Meeting on Robotic Surgery Applications
Sept 2015 Surgical Symposia on Hernia Repair, Washington DC
FACULTY ASSIGNMENTS FOR NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL MEETINGS:
Mar 2007 SAGES Colo-Rectal Hands-On Course
Oct 2007 American College of Surgeons Colo-Rectal Hands-On Course
Jun 2008 ASCRS Colo-Rectal Hands-On Course
Feb 2011 Euro-American Summit, Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons (SLS), program committee
Sept 2011 SLS General Meeting, Program Committee and Course Director
Feb 2012 Asia-American Summit, SLS Program Committee
Sept 2012 Minimally Invasive Surgery Week by SLS and Society of Robotic Surgery (SRS), program committee and course director
Feb 2013 Euro American Summit, SLS, program committee
Aug 2013 Minimally Invasive Surgery Week by SLS and multiple Robotic Surgical Societies, program committee and course director
Feb 2014 Asia-American Summit, SLS and Chinese Journal of Minimally Invasive Surgery, program committee
Sept 2014 Minimally Invasive Surgery Week, SLS and multiple Robotic Societies, program committee and course director
Sep 2014 Sobracil, Brazilian Society of Laparoscopic Surgery, Florianopolis, Brazil, invited lecture
Oct 2014 American College of Surgeons, San Francisco, Opioid Reduction task force
Feb 2015 Inaugural Class on Mini-Laparoscopy, Florida Hospital-Celebration Health
Feb 2015 Euro American Summit, SLS program committee
June 2015 China MIS Surgery Meeting Xiamen, Guilin, Kunming and Shenzhen
Sept 2015 SLS Genral Meeting, New York City, President and Program director
Oct 2015 Cleveland Clinic, Weston, FL Colo Rectal Journal Club Speaker
Dec 2015 SLS Fellowship Summit, Program Director
Feb 2016 SLS Asia-American Summit, Faculty/Organizer for meeting
Feb 2016 Fellowship class, Tripler Army Medical Center, Teach MIS Skills
Apr 2016 Surgical Symposia Faculty, Abdominal Wall Reconstruction
Oct 2016 Chinese MIS Symposia, Beijing, Zhangjianie, Shenzhen, Hong Kong
Jan 2017 Meeting with Florida Legislature about telemedicine Advocacy
Feb 2017 SLS Euro American Summit Orlando, Florida, Course Director
Mar 2017 SAGES, Enhanced Recovery Project, Houston Tx
Apr 2017 American College of Surgeons, Florida Chapter Orlando, Florida
July 1993 - Jan 1998 Chairman Quality Assurance Committee, Tyler Hospital
Sept 1994 - Jan 2001 Chairman Department of Surgery, Tyler Hospital
April 2004 - Present Medical Director for Minimally Invasive General Surgery, Florida Hospital Celebration Health
July 2006 - June 2010 Fellowship Director, Laparoscopic General Surgery, Florida Hospital Celebration
Jan 2007 - Present Patient Safety and Quality Committee, Florida Hospital
Jan 2011- Present Florida Hospital Internal Revue Board
Jan 2012 – Present Florida Hospital Robotics Subcommittee
June 2014-Present Florida Hospital New Technologies Committee
May 2015-Present Vice Chairmen Florida Hospital Internal Revue Board
Jan 2016-Present Unit Medical Director, Innovation Unit, Florida Hospital-Celebration Health
1999 - 2001 Chairman, Eastern Pennsylvania, Commission on Cancer, American College of Surgeons
1997 - 2011 Technologies Committee, Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
2001 - Present Abdominal and Pelvic Pain Committee, Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
2004 – Present Faculty, American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, Colon and Rectal Fellowship, Orlando, Florida
2006 - Present Guidelines Committee for SAGES
2010 - Present Board of Trustees, Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
2012- 2013 Sec/Treasurer, Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
2013-2014 Vice President, Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
2014-2015 President, Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
2015-present American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, Economics Committee
2016-present Board of Trustees Member for the Florida Chapter, American College of Surgeons
1995 - Present Consultant for Johnson and Johnson, Ethicon Endo-Surgery Division,
Lecture & Preceptor Surgeons & Health Care Providers about Minimally Invasive Surgery; assist in the development of Minimally Invasive Surgical Technology
1999 - Present Consultant for Medtronic, Application of products for Minimally Invasive Surgery
2000 - 2008 Smith and Nephew, Application of products for Minimally Invasive Vein Surgery
2007 - Present Scientific Advisory Board, Apollo Endo Surgery
2010 - 2013 Consultant Olympus America
2009 - 2014 Consultant and Proctor, THD America
2010 - 2013 Consultant and Proctor, Intutive Surgical
2011 - Present Consultant and Speaker,Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals
2011 – 2016 Consultant and Speaker Genzyme (a.k.a. Sanofi-Advetis)
2012- Present Consultant and Speaker Pacira Pharmaceuticals
2012-Present Consultant and Scientific Advisor, Covidien/Medtronic
2013-Present Consultant and Speaker, Bard/Davol
2013-Present Scientific Advisory Board, Neo Surgical, Galway, Ireland
2014-Present Consultant and Speaker for Acelity, Formally Life Cell
Dec. 1988 American College of Surgeons, Committee on Trauma, N.J. State Trauma Award, Powell, R.J., Redan, J.A., and Swan, K.G.: The Hilar Snare, An Improved Technique for Securing Rapid Vascular Control of the Pulmonary Hilum
May 1989 Ross Pharmaceuticals award for the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, Residents Competition
July 1990 Essex County Department of Public Safety Service Award for Public Service
June 1991 Hackensack Medical Center Resident of the Year
June 2003 Ethicon Endo Surgery, Recognition of leadership in the field of Minimally Invasive Surgery
Feb. 2007 American College of Surgeons, Puerto Rico Chapter, Contributions to MIS
July 2014 University of Central Florida, College of Medicine, Certificate of Appreciation from John Calhoun, MD and Marcy Verduin, MD
Feb 2015 Inducted into the Parsippany High School Hall of Fame
July 2015 University of Central Florida College of Medicine- Focused Inquiry Research Experience Award for teaching
Jan 2016 Nursing Practice Council Florida Hospital Physician of the Quarter Jan-Mar 2016
1. Redan, J.A., Flanagan, J.J., Machiedo, G.W., B.F., Lysz, T.W., and Murphy, T.F.: Correlation of Anaphylatoxin Levels and Survival with Bacteremia and Endotoxemia in the First Two Hours Post Trauma. Current Surgery 47:1, pp. 30-32, 1990.
2. Redan, J.A., Rush, B.F., Lysz, T.W., Smith, S., and Machiedo, G.W.: Organ Distribution of Gut Derived Bacteria Caused by Bowel Manipulation or Ischemia. Amer J of Surg 159:1, pp. 90, 1990.
3. Rush, B.F., Redan, J.A., Heneghan, J.B., Hsieh, J., Murphy, T.F., Smith, S., Flanagan, J.J., and Machiedo, G.W.: Does the Bacteremia Observed in Hemorrhagic Shock have Clinical Significance?: A Study in Germ Free Animals. Ann Surgery 210:3 pp. 342-347, 1989.
4. Powell, R.J., Redan, J.A., and Swan, K.G.: The Hilar Snare: An Improved Technique for Securing Rapid Vascular Control of the Pulmonary Hilum. J of Trauma 30:2 pp. 208-210, 1990.
5. Redan, J.A., Rush, B.F., Machiedo, G.W., Livingston, D.H., Lysz, T.W., Murphy, T.F., Dikdan, G.S., and Smith, S.: The Fate of Bacteria Absorbed from the Gut during Hemorrhagic Shock. Surgical Forum 40: pp. 91-93, 1989.
6. Redan, J.A., Rush, B.F., Machiedo, G.W., Lysz, T.W., and Murphy, T.F.: Migration of 14C oleic acid Labeled E. Coli to the Lungs During Hemorrhagic Shock in Rats. Circ. Shock 27:4, p.342, 1990.
7. Redan, J.A., McCullough, J.N., Rush, B.F., Machiedo, G.W., Murphy, T.F., Dikdan, G.S., and Smith, S.: Organ Distribution of Radiolabeled E. Coli During and After Hemorrhagic Shock. Ann Surg 211:6, pp. 663-668, 1990.
8. Redan, J.A., Livingston, D.H., Tortella, B.J., and Rush, B.F.: The Value of Intubating and Paralyzing Patients with Suspected Head Injury in the Emergency Department. J of Trauma 31:3, pp. 371-375, 1991.
9. Redan, J.A., Palmer, M.T., and Tylutki, F.J.: Suction Curettage for Removal of Retained Intrathoracic Blood Clots and Pleural Lesions. JSLS 3:2, pp. 117-119, 1999.
10. Redan, J.A., Gardner, J.C., and Tylutki, F.J.: Hand-Assisted Laparoscopy for Removal of an Esophageal Leiomyoma. JSLS 5:2, pp.167-169, 2001.
11. Roberts, L.M., Redan, J.A., and Reich, H.R.: Extraperitoneal Endometriosis, Catamenial Pneumothoracies, and Review of the Literature, JSLS 7:4, pp.371-375, 2003.
12. Redan, J.A.: When to Operate on Patients With Adhesions as a Cause of Pain, Laparoscopy and SLS Report, 3:1, pp.11-14, 2004.
13. Brotherton, J, McCarus, S.D., and Redan, J.A: Hand Assist Laparoscopic Surgery for the Gynecologic Surgeon, JSLS 13(4), pp.484-8.
14. Ott, DE and Redan, JA; Re: JSLS (2008) 12:295-298 Natural Orifice Surgery: Transdouglas surgery-a new concept.; JSLS 2009 Jan-Mar; 13(1) 121-2
15. Kantsevoy SV, Dray X, Shin EJ, Buscaglia JM, Magno P, Assumpcao L, Marohn MR, Redan J.A., Giday SA.: Transgastric ventral hernia repair: a controlled study in a live porcine model, Gastrointest Endosc. 2009 Jan; 69(1):102-7.
16. Redan, J.A.and McCarus, S.D.: Protect the Ureters, JSLS 13 (2) pp. 139-41, 2009.
17. Presthus, J.B., Jacobs, V.R. and Redan, J.A.: Method of Water Nebulization used to Prevent Heat Loss during Laparoscopic Surgery Matters, Surg Endosc 23: 1678-79, 2009.
18. Mc Clain, G.D.Redan, J.A., McCarus, S.D. and Caceres, A.: Diagnostic Laparoscopy and Adhesiolysis: Does it help with Complex Abdominal and Pelvic Pain Syndrome (CAPPS) in General Surgery, JSLS 15 (1): 1-5, 2011.
19. Brotherton, J, McCarus, S.D., Jones, K.Y., Redan, J.A., Kim, J.C.: The Role of Hand Assist Laparoscopic Surgery (HALS) in Pelvic Surgery for non-malignant disease, JSLS, 2010 14(1): 70-9.
20. Caceres, A., Redan, J.A. and McCarus, S.D.: Multi-Disciplinary Approach to the Surgical Management of Deep Infiltrating Pelvic Endometriosis Involving the Recto-Sigmoid. In Press.
21. Caceres, A. Redan, J.A. and McCarus, S.D.: Time to Diagnosis of Rectal Endometriosis May be Prolonged among Patients with Chronic Pelvic Pain. In Press.
22. Heneghan, S, Myers, J, Redan, J.A. et. al.: Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) guidelines for office endoscopic services, Surg Endosc. 2009 May;23(5): 1125-9
23. Chauhan, S, Redan, J.A., Coelho, R, et.al.: Team Approach between the urologist and Surgeon during Salvage Robot Assisted Radical Prostatectomy (sRARP). JACS 213 (3) Sept 2011 S150.
24. Redan, J.A., Temple, M.B., Harrison, S, and Zhu, X.Z.: Vacation Appendicitis, JSLS 17 (1): 9-14, 2013
25. Redan, J.A. and Halili, F.: Recurrent Ruptured Spleen, JSLS(2013) 17: 651-653.
26. Redan, J.A: Lapbotic Surgery: “Blending the Expertise of an Advanced Minimally Invasive Surgeon with the Precision of a Robot to best serve the patient.” JSLS and Surgical Technology International,
Surgical Technology International XXIII, 2014 Universal Medical Press, p.15
27. Calhoun, J.T. and Redan, J.A. “Elimination of Laparoscopic Lens Fogging Using Directional Flow of CO2, JSLS (2014)18: 55-61.
28. Carvalho, G, Redan, JA, Shadduck, P.P.: “Morphing into Mini:” Surg Technol Int. 2015 Nov; 27:15.
29. Redan JA, Humphries AR, Farmer B, Paquentin EM, Koh CH, Chung MK, Stringel G, McCarus SD, Carvalho G, Diaz RG, Shadduck PP: “Big Operations Using Mini Instruments: “The Evolution of Mini Laparoscopy on the Surgical Realm. Surg Technol Int. 2015 Nov; 27:19-30.
30. Shadduck PP, Paquentin EM, Carvalho GL, Redan JA., Mini-Laproscopy: Instruments and Economics: Surg Technol Int. 2015 Nov;27:59-64.
31. Redan, JA, Wells, T, Reeder,S, McCarus, SD.: “Reducing Opioid Adverse Events: A Safe Way to Improve Outcomes: Surg Technol Int 2016 Apr;28: 701-9.
32. Redan, JA.” “Busting 5 Myths about Mini-Lap:” Outpatient Surgery 2016 Jul; 38-40.
33. Carvalho, G., Paquentin, E.M., Redan, J.A., Shadduck, P.P.:”The ScienceBehind Mini-Laparoscopic Cholecytectomy: Surg Technol Int. 2016 Oct:29: 93-98.
34. Abbitt, D., Khallouq, BB., and Redan, J.A..; Quantifying Intraoperative Laparoscopic Visual Field Opacity: JSLS. 2017 Apr-Jun; 21(2).
1. Vacation Appendicitis, American College of Surgeons, San Francisco Oct 2011
2. No Pain, Lots of Gain! A method to reduce Opioid adverse events in your hospital, presented Oct 27, 2014, America College of Surgeons, San Francisco
Redan, J.A.: Emergency Department Laparoscopy. In Hulka JF and Reich H (eds): Textbook of Laparoscopy, 3rd edition, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: W.B.Saunders Company, Chapter 42, pp. 497-502, 1998.
Reich, H., Roberts, L.M., and Redan, J.A.: Laparoscopic Surgery for Adhesions. In Pasic R and Levine, RL (eds): A Practical Manual of Laparoscopy: A Clinical Cookbook, New York, New York: The Parthenon Publishing Group, Chapter 10, pp. 127-156, 2002.
Reich, H., Redan, J.A., and Orbuch, I.K.: Laparoscopic Hysterectomy for Advanced Endometriosis including Rectosigmoid Disease: In Szabo, Z, Coburg, A., Savalgi, R, and Reich, H (eds): Surgical Technology International XIII, Universal Medical Press, pp. 121-137.
Kim, R, Itriago, F, Redan, J.A.and Rosser, J.: Don’t Fear Adhesions: Safe Approaches to Re-Operative Minimally Invasive Surgery: In Szabo, Z, Coburg, A., Savalgi, R, and Reich, H (eds): Surgical Technology International XXI, Universal Medical Press, pp. 147-155
Active- Assessing Prospective Data to Improve the Quality of Care Collected from Patients with Complex Abdominal and Pelvic Pain Syndromes
Active- A 2year f/u, post-implantation, Multi-Center, International Hernia Mesh registry
Active- Registry for Liposomal Bupivacaine for reducing opioid adverse events
Active- Evaluation of Patients perception of nan-narcotic pain medicine in the peri-operative period
Active- Humanitarian Use Device - HUD: Enterra Therapy Gastric Electrical Stimulation System.
Active- Application of Cold Plasma Energy for reduction of Surgical Site Infections
Active- Use of 3-D Printers to make customized Hernia Mesh from CT scan Images
Active- Using Biometric Identification Technology to obtain objective and quantitation of pain scores for patients in the peri-operative period
Active- Development of Robotic Surgical System Registry for the proper identification of Surgeon versus Device Error during Computer Assisted Surgical Procedures
Active- Use of Cold Plasma Energy for Peri-operative Sterilization of products to be used during Surgery
Closed- A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of NKTR-118 in Relieving Opioid-Induced Constipation (OIC) in Patients with Cancer-Related Pain
Closed- An Open-Label 52-week Study to Assess the Long-Term Safety of NKTR-118 in Opioid-Induced Constipation (OIC) in Patients with Non-Cancer-Related Pain
Closed- Opioid-Induced Constipation (OIC) in Cancer Patients with Pain
Closed- The Surgical Care Improvement Project (SCIP)
Closed- Comparison of Stapled Hemmorhoidectomy versus Transanal Hemorrhoidal dearterialization
Closed- Evaluation of a Novel Endoscopic Suturing Device
Closed- Cost Analysis of Patients with Complex Abdominal and Pelvic Pain Syndrome
Closed- Vacation Emergencies; a retrospective review of patients undergoing appendectomy while on vacation
Closed- The Utilization of the PillCam Eso Capsule in the diagnosis of Gastrointestinal Bleeding in the Emergency Department
FIRE Module Mentor for John Calhoun, Class of 2014; Elimination of Laparoscopic Lens Fogging Using Directional Flow of CO2. Experiments performed leading to publication and potential patent for UCF-COM
FIRE Module Mentor for Matt Tadrus, Class of 2016; Correlation of Minimally Invasive Surgical Skills and Video game technology. Testing performed on Campus, American College of Surgeons Meeting and National Minimally Invasive Surgery Meetings
FIRE Module Mentor for Shea O’Brien, Class of 2017; Reducing Fall risk of Post Operative patients by using a narcotic reduction algorithm. Data collection in progress.
FIRE Module Mentor for Danielle Abbitt, Class of 2017 Evalution of Operating Room Time lost for Laparoscopic Scope fogging
FIRE Module Mentor for Andrey Suprun, Class of 2018; 3-D Printers for making hernia mesh from CT scan Image
FIRE Module Mentor for Dan Freeman, Class of 2018; Objective and Qualitative Assessment of Pain with Facial Recognition Software
FIRE Module Mentor for Catherine Mitchell, Class of 2019; Quantifying Stress Based on Hospital Environment
Society of University Surgeons,: Evidence for a Neutrophil Related Acute Lung Injury Following Intestinal Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury. Surgery 106:2 pp. 195-202, 1989.
Skoufalous, M: Interview of Jay A Redan, MD, “Rise of the Machines:” Medical Dealer, March 2015; pp. 46-51.
Wetter, P and Reiss, J: Interview of Jay A Redan, MD, “How Technology is Changing Medical Education and Training:” MedSin, Vol 4(3), pp. 6-8.
Gittlen, S.: Interview of Jay A. Redan, MD, “ Ups and Downs of High Volume”: Health Leaders Dec 2015; pp. 46-49.
Dec. 1993 Thoracoscopic Heller Myotomy
Dec. 1994 Thoracoscopic Treatment of Spontaneous Pneumothoracies
Feb. 1996 Laparoscopic Gastric Surgery: Treatment of an Intrathoracic Stomach
Dec. 1999 Emergency Room Laparoscopy
Dec. 1999 Hand-Assisted Laparoscopy for Removal of an Esophageal Leiomyoma
Aug. 2006 Hand Assisted Resection of Sigmoid Diverticulosis
Oct. 2006 OR Live, Combined Hysterectomy/Rectal Resection
May 2014 Ultrasonic Energy for Ligation of Mesenteric Blood Vessels in Colo Rectal Surgery
Oct 2015 Game Changers, CBS TV, Teaching Surgeons Video games to reduce errors
Florida Hospital-Celebration Health, Celebration (Orlando), Florida